"Do we really have to care about what other people think of us?" No we don't. But it is not possible.
If you spent one night, or one afternoon at Starbucks pondering over the dreaded question, "who am I?" (not me, you) and you were to write down ten possible answers that apply to you, ten statements that describe your existential reality, ten statements that make sense when you're completely honest to yourself, how would they look like?
My guess is, it is impossible to define or identify yourself without extrapolating your existence to that of another. Most of us are Confucionists at heart. Are you someone's son or daughter? (In this context, it doesn't sound so dumb anymore, eh.) Are you a contributor to a particular society? Are you God's child? Are you someone's god? Are you your own god? Hopefully not.
I know, there is a difference between your inherent identity and your conjured self-image. Who we are and who we think we are.
But here's the tension. I don't really see the line sometimes.
Do you live for yourself, or do you live for others? Would you die for others? Would you die to yourself?
Don't try to wake me up
Even if the sun really does come out tomorrow
Don't believe anything I say
Anymore, in the morn, in the morning
With downcast eyes
There's more to living than being alive
While I try to make sense of this madness, please do me a favour. Watch Prison Break.
Toes are overrated.
Right NOW, I definitely live for myself. I can't die for anyone but God.