toxicdonuts

hazardous materials


22 June 2008

Trading My Sorrows [G]
This Is How We Overcome [C]
Lord Reign In Me [C]
The Wonderful Cross [D]
Uncreated One [D]
How Deep The Father's Love For Us [E]

I took a week to evaluate how this service went. Ok, I was lazy as well. But I was left totally clueless after last week's service.

The congregation looked totally different. Absolutely no idea who you guys were. Something felt weird, felt really foreign, I personally felt out of place in 401.

A few of the songs were heavy on the lyrics, I hoped that the instrumental sections allowed time and space to reflect on the woguys rds. I'm not sure how you react to such 'pauses.' My shaky sixth sense tells me that most people just feel lost. Perhaps even more out of place than I was.

I remembered that something was different this time round. I had arrived at the rehearsal a little more prepared than usual. In fact, I came up with these tiny 'intensity bars' to depict the dynamics of the songs. Everything was a little more planned and ordered than usual. And, dare I say... more professional?

But sometimes, professionalism is a bad word. My conversation with ZJ about worship in NLYM reminded me that perhaps we should not focus too much on the worship and focus on worshiping instead. We might end up worshiping 'worship,' if you get what I mean... I liked those 'intensity bars,' I think they're good, and they look pretty cute. But all that 'worship stuff' kinda distracted me from worshiping. In search for a balance!

2 Responses to “”

  1. # Blogger jer

    In my perhaps short and brief stint doing worship, I learnt one thing.

    Worship Leaders worship prior to leading worship during their rehearsals. Its like their me time with God.

    But when it comes to the sunday where they are up there doing their work, they are leading the people to worship. Pauses and what nots can be done provided it somehow fits the "flow". If people are lost or you feel lost, they probably are and some prompting is perhaps required to remind them what they should concentrate on.

    There will always be this feeling that we are more concerned about the technicalities then the actual act, but when we are technically "working", we can't concentrate one more than a few things at once. The most important of which should be listening to the prompting of the Holy Spirit as to what to do and concentrating on your craft be it singing or playing, or etc.

    Just my 50 cents anyways...  

  2. # Blogger Vincent Lim

    When I am preaching, I preach to myself and the church.

    When you are singing, you sing to the Lord with the church.  

Post a Comment